Monday, July 13, 2015

Getting organized with chair pockets!

It's that time of year again...time to get my classroom ready! One of my favorite times of the year, because I have the opportunity to "tweak" things from last year and try new organizational ideas.  Today I spent about 3 1/2 hours just arranging desks and bookcases.  I ended my day by placing freshly washed chair pockets on the backs of my students' chairs.  Last summer I took on one of my favorite yet time-consuming projects.  As with most student desks, there isn't enough room for everything students need. That's when I decided to make chair pockets for each of my students.  These pockets slip over the backs of student chairs and include two pockets.  The small pocket hold students' library books, water bottles, pencil pouches, etc.  The larger pocket holds notebooks and workbooks.  

If you would like to attempt these pockets, follow the steps below.  Following the steps is an eight-minute video.  





I used 12 yards of fabric to make 21 chair pockets. First cut strips 18 1/2 inches wide from Salvage end to salvage end. Each strip is then cut into a 30-inch piece, a 13-inch piece, and a 10-inch piece.


Next, pin the smaller pieces to the 30-inch piece. Front side to the back side.


Stitch pieces together.


After the smaller pieces are stitched, it's now time to turn and finish the edges.


End of the smaller pocket turned.


End of the larger pocket turned.


Once the edges are turned, pull the top over and stitch the sides. This will create the "pocket" that will slip over the back of the chair.


Stitch the sides then turn it inside out. Your pocket is finished.


Finished chair pockets!


This is what it looks like on the backs of the chairs.  While measuring, I allowed a little extra in the width as I can always tighten it up.  Please keep this in mind when making your pockets.



This is an eight-minute video of how to make the chair pockets.


Please keep visiting my blog over the next month as I will continue posting additional organizational tips and "beginning of the year" classroom ideas.


No comments:

Post a Comment