Thursday, October 8, 2015

Questioning

Many teachers are constantly personalizing their Professional Development by searching for, and reading research-based strategies that can help students think and learn.  With technology, this research is just several clicks away.  I recently discovered Twitter chats!  Professional Development right at your fingertips!!!  

One of my favorites is TMChats (Thinking Map Chats) which meet Sunday evenings at 10:00 p.m.  About two months ago, the topic we discussed was Question Formulation Technique. Because I've never heard of QFT before, I researched information prior to the chat.  I was amazed by the information and the research!  

Although research shows student achievement can improve dramatically when students create their own effective questions, students are not deliberately taught how to do this. There are so many on-line resources that can help teachers use QFT in their classrooms.  Here is how I use it:


The first thing we do is go over the four rules with the students.  
*  Rule #1  Ask as many questions as you can.
*  Rule #2  Do not stop to discuss, judge, or answer any        questions.
*  Rule #3  Write down every question exactly as it is stated.
*  Rule #4  Change any statement into a question.


Once the rules are established and discussed, I show a focus point.  I have used pictures and a short snip of a video (nothing longer than 20 seconds).  If I use a snip of a video, I show it about 3 or 4 times. 

My students sit in groups of four.  Each student has a different colored pencil, crayon, or marker.  I place a piece of chart paper in the middle of each group.  Students then start recording their questions.  I allow about 3 minutes.






Once my students have a list of questions we distinguish between closed-ended (questions that can be answered with a "yes" or "no" or with one word) and open-ended questions (questions that require a longer response).   Students then identify the closed-ended questions with a “C” and the open-ended with an “O.”  

The first few QFT sessions, we discuss the advantages and disadvantages of each type of question. I want students to see that there is value in asking both types of questions. 

Students then practice changing questions from one type to another. I usually begin with changing closed-ended questions into open questions.

I then have my students choose three questions that interest them, consider to be the most important, or will help them design a research project.

Finally, each group will work with their team members to choose the BEST question.  Justification must be presented when choosing questions.


My class was recently videotaped  during a QFT lesson. We transitioned to a Close Reading lesson!





Here are some wonderful and helpful websites:

http://rightquestion.org/education/
http://www.ibmidatlantic.org/Experiencing-the-QFT.pdf







No comments:

Post a Comment