Saturday, April 4, 2015

All About Your Mindset!

While in Tallahassee about a month ago, I was introduced to a book titled Mindset, The New Psychology of Success by Carol S. Dweck, Ph.D.   Within minutes, I ordered the book from Amazon and couldn't wait until spring break to read it! (As a teacher, it seems the only time I have to read is spring break, summer break, and winter break).  Just finished it yesterday!  I must say, this is one of the best books I've read and I highly recommend it!  My Assistant Principal and my grade group are reading this book!

Dr. Dweck talks about two mindsets; fixed and growth. Someone with a fixed mindset desires to look smart and avoids challenges because a fear of failing, gets defensive or gives up easily, see effort as fruitless, ignores negative feedback, and feels threatened by the success of others. On the other hand, someone with a growth mindset desires to learn.  He/she embraces challenges, persists when faced with setbacks, sees effort as a pathway to mastery, learns from criticism, and finds inspiration in the success of others.

I must admit when growing up, I would have to say I had somewhat of a fixed mindset.  I was fearful of failing therefore I stayed with what I knew.  At that time I took negative feedback as an attack on me as a person.  Now, I'm thrilled to admit, I have more of a growth mindset.  I welcome challenges, I take negative feedback as a means of learning and growth!

Although this is not solely an "educational" book, there are some techniques I can use in my classroom with my students.  One of the most important, yet easiest to implement, is how we "praise" students.  We can either praise students for their ability ("Wow, you got a 100% on that test, you must be very smart.") or for their effort ("Wow, you got a 100% on that test, you must have worked really hard.") 

According to Dr. Dweck praising students' ability actually lowered their IQs and praising their effort raised them! Another technique that Dr. Dweck discusses in her book is raising standards AND giving students the means in which to reach them.  Examples include Marva Collins having her grade school children reading Shakespeare and Rafe Esquith's fifth graders reading Of Mice and Men, Native Son, To Kill a Mockingbird, etc.

Finally, I have a son who is graduating high school in a short two months.  Yesterday we came back from one of his college auditions (he will be a music major).  After talking, he stated that two of his "Facebook" music friends will be attending the same school (it seems this school has one of the top jazz programs in the country).  He continued the conversation saying, "_____ was actually first chair at Florida Allstate Jazz, he sat right next to me.  I can't wait to learn from him.  We are going to push each other to be and play our best!"  I was beaming!  Before the words came out of my mouth, my son says, "I know mom, I have a growth mindset!" YES HE DOES!  A fixed mindset would have said, "I'm not going to that school, I'm going to ______ where I could be the best saxophonist." A growth mindset says, "This is going to challenge me to be the best saxophonist I can be.  I'm going to learn from this!"

So, what is your mindset?

No comments:

Post a Comment