Saturday, May 9, 2015

The Best of Times...The Worst of Times

This time of year is so bitter sweet.  In a short three weeks I will say goodbye to 21 students, students who were a big part of my life for 180 days.  Each child is unique and will have a special place in my heart.



This coming Friday, May 15th, I will have a special presentation for my parents.  As I peruse photographs to use in this presentation, I am reminded of the many wonderful moments we experienced as a class, as a family; moments where I saw significant growth in my students as well as in myself.  This year I experienced some of the best and was reminded of one of the worst.

The highlight of my year, my career, was receiving the Milken Educator Award.  What an amazing day!  A day I will never forget; a day I was thrilled to share with my amazing students!  I was humbled, surprised, and blessed! But, the best part of the award is the growth I experienced as an educator and a person, even in these short four months.  This award gives me the desire to push myself beyond limits, limits I never thought possible.  I was selected to participate in our district's Aspiring Coaches Cohort.  This will afford me the opportunity to enhance teacher instruction, enhance educational practices, and increase student achievement at my school (as a classroom teacher, and a teacher leader). This honor also gives me the courage to take chances and "step outside the box" to reach ALL students. I'm not about the status quo! Finally, receiving this award confirms that teaching is what I'm suppose to do.


Here I am speaking to my students!  Pictured from left to right: First Lady Ann Scott,
Education Commissioner Pam Stewart, Dr. Jane Foley.
Pictured in the back: Mrs. Juanita Wright (Principal), Mr. Glenn Rustay (Milken Educator '00)

While choosing the music and lyrics for the photographs for the presentation, I was brought back to three years ago. (Music and lyrics tend to transport ones mind to the past).   This is when I experienced the worst as a teacher.  On March 26, 2012 one of our buses was involved in a horrific accident. About 12 students were transported to our local hospital and two were sent down south to a trauma hospital.  One student was killed.  That student was one of mine. Dealing with that loss was THE hardest thing I ever had to do.  My students were looking to me for comfort and strength, which I provided.  It took every ounce of strength I had (and the power and strength only my Lord can provide) to hold it together for them.  Once I arrived home I was able to let the emotions of the day take over. Even now, three years later, I still get emotional.  This event also shaped me as a teacher and a person.  I don't take time for granted.  I work hard to make sure ALL students feel loved, as if he/she is my favorite.

Will forever be in my heart!  We miss you!

I am blessed to work with phenomenal educators.  We are not only colleagues, we are a family. Every event, tragedy, and celebration solidifies this fact!

So, now I go back and work on this presentation for Friday.  I look forward to spending these next three weeks with the best group of fourth graders!  I will say my goodbyes then begin planning for my next group. But, until I welcome my new group of nine year olds, I will spend much needed time with my own family, my husband and boys!

No comments:

Post a Comment