Tuesday, January 20, 2015

When teaching gets tough!

With this post I want to address teachers.  If you were in my house I would have a pot of coffee and we would just sit and chat.  Sometimes we need that!  Teaching is difficult!  At times it feels as if we are pulled in so many different directions.  Our district introduces new initiatives, the state chimes in with their interpretation of new initiatives, meanwhile you have students who didn't eat this morning and have no interest in learning.  So what is a teacher to do when he/she feels overwhelmed?  I thought long and hard and came up with a few things that have worked for me.

1.   First and foremost, those who know me know the first thing I do is pray!  Then I surround myself with positive people.  It's very easy to fall into a "negative" trap!  Don't do it!  If you need to vent (and we all need to vent once in a while) seek out a close colleague whom you trust.  One who is going to encourage you to continue doing what you love and focus on the students.  Once you vent, let it go!

2.  Take responsibility for your own learning!  When a new initiative is introduced by your district or state, don't wait for someone to "teach" it to you.  Do your research and look for those strategies that will help you and your students.  I find myself less stressed when I'm a step ahead!

3.  Just teach!  We can't change what the district does, nor can we change what the state does.  We can take it and make it work for our students.

4.  Finally, don't lose sight of what you are called to do.  Yes, I believe teaching is a calling. We are here for our students!  Our responsibility is our students.  At the end of the day can you say yes to these questions?  Did I do everything I can to reach ALL of my students?  Did my students feel safe today? Did my students feel loved today?  If you can answer yes to all of these questions, you had a GREAT day!


No comments:

Post a Comment